Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Journey of Faith Update

In the latest update (4/9/2008), I mentioned that we had already seen miracles as a result of the faith and prayers offered on our behalf. I wanted to give you more information on the nature of this miracle we have experienced.

Upon receiving our full diagnosis on March 13, we learned not only that this particular type of cancer was fast growing and had a very low remission rate, but we also discovered that I was already in first stage liver failure as a result of the progression of the cancer. At the time, I didn't realize how serious that was since I was focused on the cancer itself. However, in reviewing our doctor's notes, Crystal came across an interesting statistic that we were told at the time, but that I had forgotten. It appears that the response rate to the type of chemotherapy I have been given is between 40% and 60%. In other words, only 40% - 60% of patients with my type of cancer will see a reduction in the tumor. The remaining 40% - 60% will die of either liver failure or kidney failure within 2 – 3 weeks. When explaining our options, Dr. Yao mentioned that we had one shot at this – I didn't realize how true that is. Given that we are almost a month out and that my liver and kidney functions are close to, if not completely normal, I can't help but realize that the fact that I am still alive is one of the miracles we have sought and has come in answer to many prayers and priesthood blessings. Although not the full miracle we continue to pray for, that I will be completely healed, I must admit that I am extremely grateful for the blessing I've been given of this extra time.

I am convinced that your faith and prayers on our behalf have granted this miracle to our family. I know that days of fasting and prayer in our behalf were organized by our home ward (the McKinney 4th ward in Texas), our ward when we lived in New Jersey (Scotch Plains II), the ward in which I grew up in Clovis, CA (Clovis II), and my parent's ward in Utah (Lehi 34th).In addition, many family members and friends have organized fast days to pray for us. As Jesus admonished his disciples in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 17, certain miracles require fasting and prayer to be granted, and we are certain that all your efforts have combined to bring about this miracle. If you want to know more please click on this link about fasting.

I am also convinced that through the power of priesthood blessings I have been given the strength to overcome this first dangerous step and begin the healing process. For those who are not as familiar with our faith, we believe that the power which Christ gave his disciples to heal the sick by the laying on of hands has been restored in these days. This power is called the Priesthood of God and can be exercised by those who have been found worthy to do so, and have received this authority. I have received a number of priesthood blessings since being diagnosed and in each one I was blessed with the strength to overcome this illness and indications that it was not yet my time to leave this life. I don't know if these blessings will extend to a complete recovery from this cancer, but I do know that it is in large part due to the power of these priesthood blessings that I experienced the miracle of getting past this first dangerous hurdle and experience the miracle of still being able to be with my family and loved ones on this mortal side of eternity.

-Matt

Your email address: